The expectation of the Technical Supervisor is to enhance the daily performance through direct supervision of work methods for safety, quality and efficiency. The supervisor is the primary person to ensure proper staffing, proper equipment, and proper processes are in place. This includes building an empowered team with the proper training and resources to be successful. The supervisor will participate and lead continuous improvement efforts in areas of safety, quality, and productivity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate a safety culture throughout the facility.
• Ensure the team operates per work instructions, inspection frequencies, and known best practices to enhance product quality.
• Drive productivity through lean methods, measure and monitor efficiency of work teams, publishing these results.
• Build a responsive, flexible team. Will interview, hire, and counsel team members, adjust the manning plan for varying needs within the business.
• Directly lays out the advancement plan for each employee. This plan is to include a short term and long term plan. (Short term = How do I continue to advance in my current role; Long term = How do I get to my career goal)
• Conduct team meetings as needed for communication, training, and team building.
• Must be able to effectively work with other functional areas to accomplish company objectives. (Quality, Engineering, Purchasing, etc.)
• Facilitate team meetings and communications.
• Monitor and review budget and forecast and factor into daily decisions.
• Assign work and special projects to team members to develop work experience and flexibility.
• Requisition resources (supplies, tools, etc.) and expedite as required.
• Initiate and drive kaizen activity including all events on kaizen schedule in addition to other opportunities that are highlighted by team(s).
• Demonstrate problem solving skills in all areas of responsibility
• Ensure all employees are adhering to standard work and any applicable engineering standards related to work station, machine or department
• Identify and resolve conflict with team – be a team player and ensure team is playing together
• Work with Quality Team on any potential or current quality issues that arise
• Practice and maintain 5S - must become able to implement where necessary
• Maintain Positive Attitude and Team Work
• Responsible for shift stand-up meetings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must possess the skills to communicate effectively with team members as well as other areas of the business
• Must have the ability to persuade, negotiate and resolve conflicts.
• The supervisor leads the attitude and direction of the team and must be able to articulate company goals and objectives in a manner that creates “buy in” from the team.
• Strong machining background or equivalent technical background
• Must have working knowledge of CNC applications or equivalent manufacturing processes
• Must understand quality gauging techniques and processes and how they relate to manufacturing methods (calipers, micrometers, comparator and other required applications)
• Must be able to work closely with engineering entities on technical issues and new products when starting production
• Understand and follow verbal and written instructions, as well as OMS sheets when available
• Must have strong working knowledge of G,D&T and posess ability to read and interpret engineering documents/drawings
• Must have strong ability to problem solve with operators, engineers, quality technicians and other personnel related to the manufacturing process
• Intermediate to advanced math skills
• Flexible technical skills that can be utilized in either assembly processes and methods or technical manufacturing processes (machining, welding, assembly)
• Leadership skills – must be able to organize and maintain a team atmosphere at all times and understand when to incorporate supervisor to assist with personnel issues
• Must be key driver for team to meet objectives related to Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost
• Must understand area goal/deliverables
• Able to learn quickly and be able to adapt as necessary
• Must be able to demonstrate and exemplify the Milwaukee Culture: Obsessed, Candid, Speed, Agility, Urgency, We Create Empowered Leaders, Never Satisfied, Always Improving
Must have good verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated knowledge of production systems and techniques. Ability to understand and use work planning skills.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required
5+ years’ experience in a production environment. Lead or supervisory experience preferred.