The Distribution Center Department Manager is responsible for the safe, accurate and efficient operation of a defined area within the distribution center. They will be required to work and assist in other areas of the operation to provide a fully cross-trained management team. They will develop their supporting team in the same manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the Dept. provides accurate, prompt deliveries to internal and external customers.
- Provide direction for all Dept. functions: receiving, material movement, including domestic and foreign freight shipments, picking, packing, shipping, and supplies purchasing, inventory control, housekeeping, training, hiring, discipline, employee development, and safety in accordance with state and federal regulations and Milwaukee policies/procedures.
- Coordinate with Continuous Improvement Manager and DC Industrial Engineers to identify, analyze, and justify capital improvements in the Dept.
- Coordinate with IE and IT to ensure technical aspects of the Dept. are functioning properly: hardware, software, barcode scanners, conveyor controls, printers, and various operational equipment of the distribution center.
- Accountable for maintaining Dept. operations within budgetary constraints; analyzes costs and implement cost reduction measures.
- Maintain appropriate activity records including shipments, damages, inventory, manpower utilization, and provide periodic summary information to superiors.
- Provide accurate budget and forecast data.
- Collaborate with other managers and staff members to formulate and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives of the facility and corporation.
- Responsible for strategic planning and strategic plan implementation in Dept.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement resulting in continually improving service levels to customers at a decreasing cost to the company.
- Evaluate employee performance, recommend appropriate disciplinary actions, recommends/maintains adequate staffing levels to respond to fluctuating workloads, and prepares Performance Reviews.
- Responsible for maintaining all Dept. metrics that track performance relating to customer service, quality, and cost.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Management, Engineering, or related field preferred with more than five years of progressive supervisory or professional experience in a distribution or manufacturing environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Self-starter with initiative. Must be able to execute tasks with minimal direct supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and changing priorities simultaneously.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated computer literacy.
- Experience with current WMS, RF and ERP technologies. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Must have the ability to comprehend procedures, systems and data.