Under the direction of and reporting to the Engineering Lab Manager, plans, organizes, coordinates, and executes process development activities while problem solving manufacturing processes requirements; and performs other related duties as assigned. The Controls Engineer candidate should have broad understanding of electrical wiring, PLC programming, servo controller programming, and multi axis motion controllers, as these skillsets will be used in combination to successfully accomplish the required responsibilities.
- Participate as a member of the department's engineering team in the development of new manufacturing processes, plans and improvement initiatives to support advanced manufacturing initiatives.
- Work cooperatively with Advanced Engineering Technology engineering staff, and Testing & Prototyping to ensure a schedule attainment is achieved and robust documentation is provided for the assigned tasks to create a successful transition of process development activities into a manufacturing setting.
- Work with New Product Development design engineers and cross-functional teams to evaluate and advise product design for optimized manufacturability.
- Identify and use new techniques and tools to the new product process development to achieve reduction of process development at the delivery phase for projects.
- Work with and lead development with equipment suppliers to deliver custom processing solutions to achieve goals and objectives.
- Perform a variety of calculation and software-aided analyses to prove process reliability, capability and sustainability.
- Strong electrical and control system skills.
- Strong servo motor and motion control programming skills.
- Emphasis on Allen Bradley and Siemens PLC's and HMI's.
- Identify and work with outside technical resources on specific projects and/or products when appropriate.
- Knowledge to draw electrical schematics using CAD.
- Familiarity with motors, sensors, pneumatics, and general electrical wiring practices.
- Make formal presentations regarding project status.
- Ability to be interactive 'hands on' with each upcoming engineering project.
- Create, maintain, and package robust documentation packages for responsible development activities and work with manufacturing team to verify alignment regarding collected information and support the pre-production activities for processes.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical engineering or equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
- Minimum 5 years engineering related experience is required.
- Travel Ability to travel domestically and internationally for machine and/or concept evaluations. Estimated yearly travel, 10% - 20%. Most trips will be contained into 1 week with possibilities of weekend travel.