Project Leader - Hand Tools in Brookfield, Wisconsin
A Project Leader at Milwaukee Tool is a critical and influential role within the organization. The fundamental objective is leading international teams through global projects from concept to product launch while maintaining cost, schedule and performance targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and is responsible for managing multiple moderate to highly complex design projects with minimal direction. Provides direction, guidance and engineering expertise to team members. Makes component material or process recommendations and/or negotiations options.
- Individuals in this position will provide project management and necessary technical direction to assure successful and timely implementation of projects. Oversees day-to-day activities of cross functional project team members. Schedules, develops agendas, facilitates and documents project meetings.
- Review work of designers, engineers and other project team members. Does not have formal supervisory responsibilities, although will provide input for performance appraisals for Engineering and cross functional project team members.
- Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines. Tracks project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines.
- Escalates critical issues to management team in a timely manner.
- Communicates, both verbal and written, to assure all groups are working toward the goal of timely project completion. Communicate technical details, ideas, and concepts to engineers and non-engineers in multiple locations. Regularly makes presentations of project status.
- Drive design of product to meet market driven design guides and fulfill cost, timing, reliability, and high-volume manufacturing requirements. Identify and mitigate manufacturing risks with suppliers.
- Analyze, evaluate and select from design execution alternatives to best meet specification objectives and implement designs into mass production. Challenge cost increases and assists purchasing negotiations from a technical standpoint.
- Accountable for technical elements of project execution including integration of complicated components and assemblies, material selection, packaging and safety, regulatory and standards compliance.
- Oversees the team in designing new experiments and test systems. Ensuring it correlates to real world results.
- Exhibits vision and foresight to test the extremes of a design and guide the team members through well thought out, logical test regimes.
- Conduct design, safety and IP reviews as needed to gain necessary approvals for product development phase progressions.
- Comply with all METCo procedures covering new product development and design output in addition to procedures of non-engineering departments related to project flow. May occasionally recommend changes to existing standards and procedures.
- Consistently visualizes entire scope of a project with very little guidance. Identify project risks and implement risk mitigation plans. Proactively identifies, negotiates and mitigates impact of scope creep.
- Maintains an awareness of competitive offerings and the general business climate in the hand tool industry.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering is required; BSME is preferred. Graduate studies preferred in Project Management or Engineering Management. Formal project management training preferred.
- Minimum 7 years engineering experience in related field.
- Experience successfully managing multiple low-moderate complexity projects and/or subsystems of larger projects.
- Must possess a high level of Mechanical engineering aptitude including a broad knowledge of engineering materials used in hand tools as well as an understanding of manufacturing process associated with these materials and processes.
- Must have a working design knowledge of a wide variety of the technologies associated with Milwaukee products. Must be able to personally conduct detailed analyses, or recognize the need to seek the appropriate expertise to achieve the desired results.
- Experience drafting comprehensive test plans and specifications.
- Experience reviewing competitive patents and identifying novel inventions for filing patents is preferred.
- Experience with various rapid prototyping methods is preferred.
- CAD Skill Level: Basic 3D; NX experience is a preferred
- Geometric Tolerancing: ME - thorough understanding; EE - basic understanding is a plus
- Tolerance Analysis: Statistical
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software including Microsoft Project.
- 5-15% travel required, including domestic and international as needed.