Purpose of the Position:
The primary role is to ensure our products are at the highest level of quality that meet customer expectations. The Quality Engineer will put in place a system to measure Imperial Blades performance and report on findings.
This position reports to the Manager Quality at Imperial Blades.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research develop and revise Quality Policies, Procedures, System Instructions, and Work Instructions that govern the operations of the Quality Department and Quality-related activities of the manufacturing facility.
- Maintain a framework and systems for conducting process capability studies, performing statistical process control, conducting gauge repeatability, and reproducibility studies and gauge calibration. Write standards and procedures governing the conduct of these activities including the data to be collected, reporting methods, etc.
- Use and maintain a database for document control, corrective actions, gauging, and calibration record systems.
- Establish standards to measure process improvement and performance.
- Assist in development, implementation, monitoring, and effecting corrective actions of key metrics for compliance on site.
- Lead, manage, and drive corrective actions and continuous improvements within facility of our manufacturing operations and suppliers.
- Perform process analysis on machines, equipment, and systems to facilitate process improvement. Track process performance and provide feedback to engineering, manufacturing, and management.
- Provide services to manufacturing and suppliers in process improvement to reduce process variation and increase process controls, where appropriate.
- Conceive, plan, organize and coordinate all phases of assigned special projects to improve efficiencies, simplify workflow and reduce costs.
- Apply statistical methods such as gauge R & R, design of experiments and statistical process control in manufacturing.
- Participate in reviewing designs of new products and engineering changes with respect to product quality control/assurance and gauge requirements and recommend changes as required. Isolate and identify critical quality requirements and quality controls.
- Establish and maintain quality and process control plans to support manufacturing and quality activities including process auditing. Establish and document PFMEA's (Process Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) along with process engineers and manufacturing personnel as appropriate.
- Coordinate the corrective action system, including supplier corrective actions, to ensure root cause analysis and effective corrective/preventive action to prevent the problem from occurring in the future.
- Perform process and quality system audits to ensure compliance to specifications and documented procedures.
- Oversee and conduct quality inspections of incoming raw materials to include assisting with physical measurements, microhardness readings, XRF measurements and blade cross-sectioning.
- Program inspection measuring equipment and systems as necessary, i.e. Zone 3, WinSPC and other measurement equipment.
- Facilitate resolution of any quality related issues at incoming inspection.
- Coordinate with Production to resolve any production quality issues using internal and customer requirements.
- Complete Root Cause analysis and implement Corrective Actions using formal problem-solving techniques including Lean Six Sigma tools.
- Complete FAIR, First Article, and other various customer and internal quality documentation and ensure appropriate storage of such documents for future reference and retrieval.
- Provide status of ongoing issues and projects, and communicate progress through written reports and regular quality meetings assigned or scheduled.
- Travel to suppliers or other facilities to assist in resolving quality issues or assessment of capabilities as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Self-starter with ability to use own initiative to ensure company quality standards are maintain and culture of Continuous Improvement re-enforced
- Ability to manage multiple projects / assignments simultaneously
- Solid understanding of Engineering (Mechanical), principles with ability read and interpret drawings including dimensional tolerances
- Ability to implement and monitor process controls to ensure actual production is maintained within the specified tolerance limits
- Ability to Collect and analyze data statistically to solve problems and proactively make recommendations for improvements
- Lean Manufacturing and 6S experience
- Accomplished in MS Word and Excel, PowerPoint, and Minitab
- Proven ability to collect the right data, analyze data using statistics, and implement improvements and corrective actions based on data
- Ability to analyze, challenge, and change process, as needed, to create a more efficient, more positive environment and culture
- Honesty, integrity, and a strong desire to succeed
- Ability to establish high standards and interact with others in a respectful and professional manner
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to recognize opportunities and to improve quality
- Able to work on very tight timelines while maintaining excellent attention to detail
Education and/or Experience:
- Five (5)+ years experience in a manufacturing Quality Assurance role
- BS degree in Quality, Engineering or other related field
- CQE or other related quality certification
- ISO Internal Auditor certification desired
- Six Sigma green-belt Certification (preferably ASQ or equivalent may be considered)
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Prolonged sitting at a desk when working in the office
- Ability to work in a production environment including prolonged standing, noise, and temperature fluctuations
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus as there is significant computer & paper work
- Employees will be required to wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when entering the Production facility