Manager Trade Compliance in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Date Posted: 4/17/2019
Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Job Type: Legal
Date Posted: 4/17/2019
The Trade Compliance Manager ensures legal compliance and provides import/export administration and control within government rules and regulations on imports and exports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, implement and maintain documentation and procedures to ensure compliance with all US & Foreign Customs and other governmental regulations on imports and exports
- Establish and drive overall corporate tariff strategy with key business leaders
- Provide expertise on tariff code interpretation and classification for individual parts and complete products
- Collaborate with engineering to help establish Country of Origin, classification and tariff strategy during early stages of new product development
- Provide guidance and leadership regarding tariff tradeoff options
- Lead and develop direct reports including creating and driving resource plan to support business growth
- Assign and maintain HTS classifications and Country of Origin on all purchased, salable or inventoried items
- All Ensure HTS classifications and Country of Origin are maintained in JDE Microsoft Dynamics AX with correct duty rates
- Oversee proper declaration of assists, duty paid and duty drawback
- Develop internal training program to support trade compliance initiatives and requirements.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to provide guidance and requirements defining Country of Origin for various assembly locations of various product types, such as USMCA (formerly NAFTA), KOR-US, Chile-US, etc.
- Responsible for managing the relationship with customs broker(s) and for the accuracy of invoices and entry work.
- Achieve and maintain C-TPAT and other government certifications
- Perform regular audits as needed with several departments to identify, disclose and work to fix any potential Import or Export Compliance concerns
- Interface with US Customs on audits they are conducting on Milwaukee Tool; should a discrepancy in the audit be noted drive escalation as appropriate to resolve
- Interface with internal and external customers, foreign order administration, freight forwarders, customs officers and other functional areas to ensure coordination and logistics of shipment
- Code international freight invoices for inbound shipments, as well as domestic truck load shipments
- Maintain and update inbound/outbound routing guide; distribute to other departments as necessary
- Ensure US customs guidelines are followed by vendors, purchasing, broker, and other responsible parties
- Assist with preparation of and management of Foreign Trade Zone and its compliance
- Maintain knowledge of latest customs rules and regulations and establish an operating rhythm of reporting pertinent changes to cross functional organization leaders.
- Bachelor's degree in business related study; coursework in international business or logistics desirable
- Minimum 7 years' experience in a corporate compliance setting with at least 5 years leading and developing direct reports
- Must have a working knowledge of import/export procedures and regulations
- Good analytical ability with strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task various projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with cross-functional team members
- Highly driven and self-motivated; accepts accountability and responsibility for actions and deliverables
- Willing and able to travel occasionally, including international
- Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP system experience preferred
- Customs Broker license optional