The Materials Engineer uses engineering expertise to contribute to the design and development of new products and support of existing products within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Engineering / Design
- Take a product from concept through mass production with supervision and provide Engineering deliverables in all New Product Development (NPD) phases.
- Work with Senior Engineers and accountable for technical elements of project execution for NPD projects. This includes integration of components and assemblies, material selection, packaging and safety, regulatory, intellectual property and standards compliance.
- Design components using manufacturing processes such as die castings, plastic molded parts, forgings, powder metal, sheet metal stampings and screw machine parts.
- Perform a wide variety of calculations and software aided analysis in the following areas: Mechanical stress analysis, drop analysis, material and heat treatment selection based on application, tolerance and fit analysis, FEA etc.
- Review and occasionally make detail drawings and/or CAD models of components and subassemblies.
- Conduct tool and product components teardowns; analyze competitive tool designs.
- Exhibit vision and foresight to test the extremes of a design.
Testing / Quality
- As part of project team, contribute in development of reliability/quality tools such as critical to quality matrix (QFD), process control plans, and work instruction etc.
- Work with reliability engineering, product management and test lab to create and review test procedures and equipment for new to company and existing product categories.
- Work with the rapid prototype team and test lab to create and test prototypes.
- Occasionally design new experiments and test systems.
- Help coordinating testing for engineering and qualification builds with suppliers and test labs.
- Identify technical risks on projects and come up with risk mitigation plans
- Schedule, develop agendas for, facilitate and document project meetings (technical meetings)
- Track project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines; keep team informed on project technical risks and issues.
- Occasionally make formal technical presentations
Manufacturing / Suppliers
- Interacts extensively with manufacturing plants and outside suppliers to achieve project goals.
- Work with suppliers to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while also falling within manufacturing process capability.
- Make component material or process recommendations. Review product designs for manufacturability.
- Work as a technical resource to troubleshoot problems with manufacturing teams and suppliers.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Material Science and Engineering
- Two years of related experience
- Unigraphics (NX8.5) or similar 3D CAD package
- Tolerance Analysis and GD&T knowledge (Preferred)
- Experience with FEA preferred.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time is preferred (travel includes Domestic and International)