Chief Equipment & System Reliability Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Chief Equipment & System Reliability Engineer
The Chief Equipment & System Reliability Engineer's (ESRE) primary duties are to utilize advanced level engineering skills to support the development and qualification of manufacturing methods and systems. The ESRE is a critical member of the Advanced Manufacturing Process Development support structure reporting to the Quality/ Reliability Manager. This role requires keen analytical expertise to help launch new and exciting solutions to achieve prescribed profitability and time-to-market while exceeding our customer and end user's expectations. Strong communication skills will be needed within all levels of the business to effectively advocate for the most beneficial course of action. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new processes as a member of a cross-functional team that is growing our business into the future. In addition, to project work the Chief ESRE is designated as a general subject matter expert and mentor to junior level engineers and members of the business outside of the discipline.
Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as the project team lead for the Equipment & System Reliability function, lead process development and improvement initiatives across disciplines and/or business units, as well as act as a resource on the appropriate practical understanding of Reliability Statistics/Methodology application.
Advanced Manufacturing Process Development & Mentoring
- Lead project teams and/or Direct Quality / Reliability Staff with respect to process/equipment reliability for development, value engineering and continuous improvement of processes.
- Collaborate with Voice of Customer (VoC) Representative(s) (Internal and External) to define the specifications and parameters of process/equipment reliability and qualification testing.
- Lead and/or Direct Quality / Reliability Staff in the development and documentation of evaluation and analysis methods for "Critical to Quality" needs (CtQs) for processes and equipment.
- Support of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering activities related to targeted CtQ needs.
- Set guidelines and Analyze data from process evaluations to outline reliability test requirements for initial qualification, long term life, and definition of risk for minimum acceptance criteria.
- Lead and/or Direct Quality / Reliability Staff in how to lead cross-functional team on facilitation of FMEA Meetings, CtQs, MSAs, Stability/Capability Analysis and other development activities as assigned.
- Collaborate with and/or Direct Quality / Reliability Staff on how to collaborate with cross-functional team on FMEA Development, CDAs, DOEs, Failure Reporting (FR), Root Cause Analysis (A) and effective Corrective/Preventative Actions (CA), as well other development activities as assigned.
- Collaborate with and/or Direct Quality / Reliability Staff on how to collaborate with Internal and External equipment suppliers.
- Track multiple projects simultaneously and delegate work as needed to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee Tool process while employing creative problem-solving.
- Delegate and Instruct Quality / Reliability Staff on how to OR individually analyze, draw concise, logical, written/verbal conclusions, and report/present on process capability and development status (i.e. product feature dimensional tolerances that can be consistently achieved by equipment compared to previous generation equipment; OEE comparisons of competing systems; range of variation in incoming raw materials to which system is robust).
- Participate as a member of the department's management team in the development of new processes, plans and improvement Quality / Reliability initiatives to support Advanced Manufacturing and Mass Production initiatives.
- Select, develop and motivate highly competent junior level ESREs and Q/REs in developing Process CtQ evaluation methods, test methodologies, setting developmental and production specifications, PFMEA methodology, and creation/execution/evaluation of DOEs.
- Representation of the Reliability discipline in Cross-Functional and Cross-Business Unit, System-Level Development Collaborations.
- Approval of documents for publication or presentation to ensure accuracy in interpretation of Reliability Methodologies and alignment with higher-level Business Initiatives.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or educational equivalent field.
- Preferred: Master of Science in Engineering Discipline
- 10+ years of related work experience in Reliability Engineering, Advanced Quality, and/or Quality Engineering field(s) preferred.
- Experience including training in Reliability Engineering fundamentals and proven experience leading a primary function within a project team.
- Experience with new product commercialization processes emphasizing Design, Manufacturing, Quality, Inspection, Sensor Technology selection, Testing, or Reliability activities.
- Previous relevant experience with Design of Experiments, Life Data Analysis, and other related Statistical tools and software (i.e. Minitab, Reliasoft).
- Ability to travel 15% of the time is required (travel includes Domestic and International).
- Preferred: ASQ Reliability Engineering Certification (ASQ-CRE) or the ability and desire to achieve certification.
- Preferred: Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Six Sigma experience
- Demonstrable skills in mentoring other employees in statistical techniques
Milwaukee Tool is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.