Project Leader - Value Engineering - Battery & Charger in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Project Leader is responsible for managing multiple moderate to highly complex engineering projects with minimal direction. Individuals in this position will provide project management and necessary technical oversight to assure successful and timely implementation of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership over moderate to highly complex value engineering design projects. Provides direction, guidance and engineering oversight to global team members. Review work of designers, engineers and other project team members.
- Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines.
- Manage and drive Value Engineering idea deck, with inputs across the organization, and able to prioritize projects accordingly to meet the overall needs of the business
- Communicates, both verbal and written, to assure all groups are working toward the goal of timely project completion. Communicate technical details, ideas, and concepts to engineers and non-engineers in multiple locations.
- Drive design of project to meet market driven design guides and fulfill cost, timing, reliability, and high volume manufacturing requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate and select from design execution alternatives to best meet specification objectives and implement designs into mass production.
- Accountable for technical elements of project execution including integration of complicated components and assemblies, material selection, packaging and safety, regulatory and standards compliance.
- Conduct design and safety reviews as needed to gain necessary approvals for product development phase progressions.
- Comply with all MET procedures covering new product development and design output in addition to procedures of non-engineering departments related to project flow.
- Consistently visualizes entire scope of a project with very little guidance.
- Schedules, develops agendas, facilitates and documents project meetings.
- Tracks project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines.
- Regularly makes presentations of project status.
- May occasionally recommend changes to existing standards and procedures.
- Maintains an awareness of competitive offerings and the general business climate in the power tool industry.
- Does not have formal supervisory responsibilities, although will provide input for performance appraisals for Engineering and cross functional project team members. Also oversees day-to-day activities of project team members.
- Identify project risks and implement risk reduction plans.
- Interacts extensively with manufacturing plants and outside suppliers to achieve project goals.
- Makes component material or process recommendations.
- Designs new experiments and test systems.
- Exhibits vision and foresight to test the extremes of a design and guide the team members through well thought out, logical test regimes.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Electrical Engineering preferred. Graduate studies a plus in the business areas such as Project Management, Finance, Marketing, or Organizational studies. Formal project management training preferred.
- Minimum 7 years engineering experience in related field.
- Experience successfully managing low-moderate complexity projects and/or subsystems of larger projects in a global environment with outside suppliers.
- Must possess a high level of Mechanical/Electrical engineering aptitude including a broad knowledge of engineering materials used in Battery Packs, Chargers, and Power Tools as well as an understanding of manufacturing process associated with these materials.
- Must have a working design knowledge of a wide variety of the technologies associated with Milwaukee products. Must be able to personally conduct detailed analyses, or recognize the need and seek the appropriate expertise to achieve the desired results.
- Ability to draft compressive test plans and specifications.
- CAD Skill Level: Basic 3D
- Geometric Tolerancing: Fundamental understanding
- Tolerance Analysis: Statistical
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software including Microsoft Project.