Quality Manager - Mexico Operations in Torreon, Coahuila
Reporting to the Plant Manager, works with occasional supervision and from broad guidelines and objectives, the primary duty of this position is to provide a wide variety of management leadership in quality and quality processing improvement activities to internal and external customers. This position serves as a leadership quality resource for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organization: Conceive, plan, organize, schedule, coordinate and supervise areas of quality management systems as well as specific quality functions within the plant.
- Leadership: Requires demonstrated technical leadership ability in working with engineers, departments, suppliers.
- Training: Educate and train others on quality principles. Provide guidance and assistance to other engineers, laboratory technicians and managers.
- Administration: Perform administrative activities necessary for the effective management of direct reports, including pay administration, setting goals and objectives, and planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed. Provide performance feedback to cross functional team members for performance reviews.
- Quality Management System: Maintain, improve and expand the Milwaukee Tool quality management systems in the manufacturing facilities. Plan, conduct and coordinate quality management system internal audits and process audits to ensure compliance to established procedures, instructions and industry practice and to measure the effectiveness of improvement efforts.
- Planning: Plan departmental objectives and activities towards achieving the results documented in the Company's vision, mission goals and objectives.
- Continuous Improvement: Consult with plant managers and department heads on how and where to focus improvement efforts and aid in obtaining the resources and/or training required. This includes preparing and conducting or the supervision of the preparing and conducting of training in the use of quality tools, total quality, continuous improvement, statistical process control, process capability, design of experiments, quality function deployment or other techniques associated with the quality management systems.
- Quality Management Review Meetings: Conduct Quality Review Meetings on a monthly basis to the Plant Manager and Plant Leadership personnel for status and quality program review. Establish and coordinate activities to improve quality at the Plant level through the leadership personnel.
- Documentation: Assist with the development and revision of Quality Policies, Quality Procedures, Quality System Instructions, Engineering Standards and Work Instructions that govern the operations of the Quality Engineering Department and the Quality related activities of the manufacturing facilities.
- Corrective Actions: Assist in establishing and maintaining a corporate-wide corrective action system to measure and improve quality in areas where deficiencies have been identified. Includes internal and external corrective actions for manufacturing and the Supplier base.
- Budgets: Prepare expense budgets for the department and control departmental expenditures to meet budget goals.
- Capital Expenditures: Analyze the capital equipment needs of the manufacturing facilities and appropriate funds. This includes inspection, measuring and test equipment required for new products and processes as well as the upgrading of Milwaukee Electric Tool's measurement capability. Perform detailed cost analysis and manage projects aimed at reducing costs of failure and increasing margins and productivity.
- Nonconforming Product: Control and coordinate the application of product quality holds to adequately protect the customer from receiving sub-standard product while ensuring customers receive products in a timely manner.
- Supplier Development and Performance: Establish and maintain systems to analyze and report on the capabilities and performance of Milwaukee suppliers.
- Lab Functions and Responsibility: Plan, coordinate, and manage the product audit and metrology function to ensure product and component quality. Plan, coordinate, and manage the testing and audit of product when transferred from one manufacturing location to another.
- Participate in the planning and assessment of quality functions at the manufacturing locations.
- Manage all Quality Personnel along with conducting appraisals and performance of each direct report. Coordinate activities and report on personnel in the Department with Plant Manager and HR, when needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires a BS Degree in Engineering. Specialized training in Quality Assurance and 5-7 years experience directly related to quality in manufacturing and product assembly strongly preferred.
- Must be very knowledgeable of developments in the field of quality and the application of modern quality techniques with a sound practical knowledge of manufacturing equipment, processes and practices. Familiarity with ISO methodologies and other industry best practices such as Lean, Cost of Quality, Voice of Customer, etc strongly recommended.
- Must be able to work from broad general guidelines and objectives with minimal supervision and direction.
- Outstanding creativeness, initiative and judgment plus an excellent understanding of a wide range of quality principles. Experience with quality management of metal fabrication processes, machining processes and Heat Treat processes strongly preferred.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Computer proficiency required. Excellent organizational skills and mechanical/electrical oriented preferred.
- Familiarity or background in Statistical Process Control and applied statistical software programs such as MiniTab or other specialized quality software will be benefical.