The expectation of the warehouse supervisor is to enhance the daily performance through direct supervision of work methods for safety, quality and efficiency. The supervisor is the primary person to ensure proper staffing, proper equipment, and proper processes are in place. This includes building an empowered team with the proper training and resources to be successful. The supervisor will participate and lead continuous improvement efforts in areas of safety, quality, materials management and productivity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate a safety culture throughout the facility.
- Ensure the team operates per work instructions, inspection frequencies, and known best practices to enhance product quality.
- Drive productivity through lean methods, measure and monitor efficiency of work teams, publishing these results.
- Build a responsive, flexible team. Will interview, hire, and counsel team members, adjust the manning plan for varying needs within the business.
- Must be able to effectively work with other functional areas to accomplish company objectives. (Quality, Engineering, Purchasing, etc.)
- Assign work and special projects to team members to develop work experience and flexibility.
- Requisition resources (supplies, tools, etc.) and expedite as required.
- Initiate and drive kaizen activity including all events on kaizen schedule in addition to other opportunities that are highlighted by team(s).
- Supervise and coordinate unloading of inbound shipments, orderly receiving and stacking of product.
- Picking, packing and staging of outbound shipments in accordance with the highest possible levels of productivity.
- Verify required inbound/outbound paperwork with associates, ensuring that all product is properly counted.
- Ensure the efficient and safe operation of all material handling equipment.
- Ensure that the work schedules are correctly implemented and that jobs are assigned effectively and completed properly.
- Apply a 5 S concept to the work place, train staff in 5 S principles and then maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area.
- Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse and ensure that all security procedures are in place and followed.
- Complete all necessary records and reports in a timely and accurate fashion, including specific reporting and documentation that is required in order to continuously improve the operation
- Organize/ hold / attend warehouse meetings on a daily basis
- Drive Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) implementation and adherence on the shop floor
- Participate in and partly drive development and execution of associate training and development
- Ensure compliance with housekeeping and process standards (boxes, palletization etc)
- Able to work a flexible schedule and ability to be on-call at various times. Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Team Leadership: Ability to build and encourage a positive teamwork environment, develop team and individuals and manage achievements and recognition.
- Integrity: Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behavior in all roles, tasks and responsibilities.
- Problem Solving: Reacts quickly and appropriately to problems in the DC; follows-up in a timely manner to issues not immediately resolvable; ties all loose ends.
- Performance and Result Orientation: Drives performance in a way that takes into consideration multiple and sometimes competing priorities, keeping the goal in sight and reaching agreed results.
- Customer Driven: Creates a customer-focused environment in which excellent service is provided to all Customers; sees business through the eyes of the Customer, reacts quickly and flexibly to ever evolving customer demands
- Gets Things Done: Motivates self and others to accomplish important objectives despite a complex environment and multiple demands; creates a sense of urgency; delegates appropriately.
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates clearly and concisely with all audiences; keeps others informed and listens carefully to input and feedback; adapts messages to fit audience.
- Plans Tactically: Demonstrates the ability to determine goals, direction and action steps necessary to maximize short-term and medium-term
- Education: Bachelor's Degree from accredited college or university;
- APICS certification,
- Experience: Minimum of five 3- 5 years' experience in a production environment as Lead or Supervisor or equivalent combination of professional experience and graduate level education. (preferably).