Senior Motor Engineer - New Product Development in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Milwaukee Tool (Milwaukee) is seeking an experienced engineer to join our Motors -- New Product Development team.
Day in the Life
As an Engineer for Milwaukee you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design Headquarter in Brookfield, WI. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals.
Domestic and international travel opportunities are available and sometimes required. In the US, Milwaukee has manufacturing locations in Mississippi. Overseas, you will have the opportunity to work with Chinese engineering counterparts as well as meet with suppliers in other areas of Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership, direction, guidance and engineering expertise to colleagues and other cross-functional teams.
- Establish and drive test regimens for components and assemblies within scope of the project and organization.
- Independently track projects to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee process.
- Schedule, develop agendas for, facilitate and document technical meetings and formal presentations.
- Draw concise, logical, written conclusions from experiments based on data analysis.
- Develop and maintain familiarity and understanding of Milwaukee's development and manufacturing processes.
- Drive supplier relationships to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Work with and establish trusting relationships with engineers throughout Asia and the world.
- Design to and qualify new designs to applicable regulatory standards such as UL, CEC, CE and ANSI.
- Effectively identify and communicate issues to upper management in a clear, concise and timely manner while driving action based on urgency.
- Provide expertise and engineering support on high-level complexity projects.
- Identify engineering trends and drive strategies to guide the organization's technical direction.
- Make clean-sheet motor designs of brushed and brushless DC motors and AC universal motors to optimize performance tailored to product requirements. Must know how these changes affect commutation, controllability, thermal performance and manufacturability.
- Create new development tests to aid in design verification and failure modes.
- Perform root cause failure analysis of motor test failures.
- Design and make design changes to motor components while understanding how these changes affect durability and manufacturing processes.
- Motors -- New Product Development
- Perform electromagnetic design changes to laminations to improve existing designs.
- Create and execute test plans to verify motor performance and thermal limits.
- Mentor and train junior engineers in their design and failure analysis.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in related design field.
- Excellent problem solving skills and a hands-on attitude.
- Proficient in CAD; Proficiency with FEA solvers is also preferred.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time is required (travel includes Domestic and International).
- Proficient in theory of Brushless DC Motors.
- Familiar with Brushed PMDC, AC Universal and Induction and Switched Reluctance motors and theory.
- Have a good understanding of motor controls, battery technology, vibration and sound analysis.
- Motors -- New Product Development
- Good understanding of metal stamping, steel machining, and injection molded processes.
- Expert understanding of motor assembly and motor component design/manufacturing and what drives cost and durability.