Sr Industrial Designer - Hand Tools in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Milwaukee Tool is looking for an experienced Senior Industrial Designer to join its in-house design team. Our product line is continually expanding; come join a growing creative team that is building a portfolio of advanced products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Industrial design at Milwaukee Tool is chartered to create compelling solutions focused on solving critical user needs.
The primary duties of a Senior Industrial Designer center around the development of new products. Every project entails empathetical understanding of users, the inventive exploration of form and function with passion for the interactions between the user and the product or system. The Senior Designer takes a leading design role on strategic and complex programs often delegating and mentoring the work to other designers.
Leading the conceptual exploration is accomplished through competitive assessments, field visits to identify unmet user needs, design trend awareness and purposive ideation. The design intent is communicated through visual storytelling and study models to gain acceptance by the project team.
Development of the conceptual direction is carried out through 2D sketching, technical illustrations, renderings, 3D CAD and appearance models. Design proposals are reviewed in a phase-gate process to obtain cross-functional consensus. Expected to balance workload of concurrent projects, including mentoring work of other designers.
The Senior Designer will follow the solution through all pre-production stages, creating specifications for CFM requirements, product graphics and UI. Maintaining close engagement with process partners to consider cost / schedule / performance trade-offs relating to construction, assembly and manufacturing.
Collaboration with cross-functional product management and engineering teams is critical to delivering exceptional designs based on uncovered objectives and design criteria. Senior designers are expected to participate in project meetings, teleconferences as well as leading design reviews with process partners and design peers.
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a major in industrial design.
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience designing in a product development environment. Preference for experience with consumer products or durable goods.
- Demonstration of professional demeanor through a portfolio of product design and strategic thinking.
- Experience leading teams and individuals through design phases and processes.
- Proficient communication of process through visual thinking, storyboards, mock-ups, sketching, rendering and CAD modeling.
- Domestic and international travel as required.