Senior Thermal Engineer - Battery Systems in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Sr. Thermal Engineer's primary role uses highly developed thermodynamics expertise and project management abilities to lead the thermal and heat transfer design of batteries and chargers using calculations, CFD, and experimental techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Chief thermal technical leader on multiple battery projects.
- Provide clear engineering information to Project Leaders and the Global Engineering teams facilitating trade off decisions.
- Establish thermal test regimens for components and assemblies for each battery project. Deliver complete data analysis and simulation correlation to support design recommendations
- Independently develop, write and analyze testing reports in internal laboratory.
- Serve as a technical resource on thermal and heat transfer issues and provide consultation / mentorship to others.
- Execute a wide variety of calculations and software aided analyses in the following areas:
- Thermal FEA and CFD
- Heat generation estimates from electrical components and battery cells
- Tolerance stack analyses
- Mechanical stress analysis preferred
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics
- Masters in Thermal Engineering preferred.
- 5+ years of design experience.
- Strong proficiency in 3D CAD -- ProE, Solidworks, NX, or similar.
- Proficient in CFD and Thermal FEA Simulation software.
- Deep mechanical aptitude is required including a broad knowledge of engineering materials, mechanical properties and an understanding of the manufacturing processes associated with these materials.
- Strong cross functional communication skills.
- Strong root cause and failure analysis aptitude
- Ability to travel up to 10% (travel includes Domestic and International).
- High interest in tools of the construction trades.