Manager Advanced Engineering in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Manager - Advanced Engineering, directs the research and development activities leading to new or improved technologies necessary to advance the new product development pipeline. We're looking for a high energy individual who can not only contribute to the invention of new to world solutions, but also would thrive as leader of a like-minded multidisciplinary team.
Candidates for this role are creative and have a passion to find problems and invent meaningful solutions Candidates would have strong mechanical skills and experience with Design Thinking to pull together meaningful new ideas based upon identified unmet user needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the R&D Advanced Engineering group to identify and deliver technology solutions to meet customer needs.
- Provides strategic and technical leadership to staff assigned to develop new technology solutions across R&D Product Platforms.
- Develops and manages the Technology Roadmap for R&D and ensures alignment between stakeholders of new R&D products in the development cycle.
- Oversee the exploration and convergence of the project into actionable innovative opportunities & user driven strategies for Milwaukee Tool.
- Foster a creative environment, encourage others to think differently, coach problem solving
- Coach Design Thinking skills to core team, proper presentation assembly & communication per the various milestone meetings.
- Serve as a technical resource on areas of expertise and provide consultation / mentorship to others.
- Develop innovative solutions; help implement sustainable, robust and reliable design solutions.
- Strong analytical skills, knowledge and experience in Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Proficient in reviewing intellectual property and technical papers.
- Strong, current knowledge of engineering trends within the discipline
- Able to provide sound guidance to the organization on future technical direction
- Can foresee beneficial step-change improvements and different methods for solving problems
- Strong mechanical aptitude based on experience including a broad knowledge of mechanisms, engineering materials, mechanical properties, and manufacturing processes
- Works effectively with Engineering, Marketing, Industrial Design, Concept & Design Research. Understands the strengths, value, and knows how to correctly utilize each member of the team most effectively.
- Effectively & efficiently manage cross functional team throughout the project ensuring expectations are clear, delivered upon, and in a timely manner.
- Translates organizations objectives into clear goals and priorities
- Manage external relationships with University research teams, start-up companies, Professional Societies & Associations and external testing experts.
- Management of Complex Decisions: Thrives in ambiguous scenarios in which the correct direction(s) is not yet obvious. Great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available and making decisions.
- Provide clear and concise updates to Sr. Management.
Job Qualifications Required
- Minimum of 10 years on a Front-End Innovation / R&D Team with a proven track record of creativity and invention in the Consumer Products Market
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering Technology, and/or Engineering Physics
- Experience with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) / Safety products (bonus)
- Position may include direct reports, must be able to train, coach and increase our organizational capacity.
- Ability to travel up to 10-20% (travel includes Domestic and International).