Principal Engineer - Firmware Reliability and Quality in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The firmware principal reliability engineer's primary duties are to utilize advanced level engineering skills to contribute to the development and qualification of firmware products and to mentor other department reliability engineers to help improve their technical skills. This role is a critical member of the Platform and Systems Development Team. This position requires strong multi-functional communication skills and analytical expertise to help launch new and exciting solutions that meet user needs. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. The principal engineer will act as mentor to junior level reliability engineers on projects in addition to their normal workload.
As an engineer for Milwaukee Tool, you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design Headquarters in Brookfield, Wisconsin, and be part of a rapidly growing company. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals. Milwaukee Tool offers generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401k matching, as well as providing an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues, and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead in all aspects of Reliability and Quality goals and metrics related to Firmware.
- Support of Advanced Engineering activities to meet targeted CTQ (Critical to Quality) needs.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Marketing to define the products' specifications and lead in all aspects of reliability, quality and firmware testing.
- Lead risk assessments for firmware projects during the development cycle.
- Interact with participating domestic and international suppliers for product development.
- Track multiple projects simultaneously to ensure scheduling adherence and to the Milwaukee Tool process.
- Root cause failure analysis.
- Technical preparation of products for mass production.
- Lead development of firmware processes and metrics to ensure reliability of firmware for tools, batteries, and chargers.
- Work across multiple teams to jointly develop, document, and train firmware processes.
- Successfully lead the auditing and certification of firmware development processes with internal and external auditors.
- Drive continuous improvement of process development.
- Develop test plans and prove test methods based on new or established product designs to ensure firmware meets customer requirements.
- Ensure test strategies and test plans balance test-to-pass and test-to-fail items.
- Perform Design of Experiments (DOE) to support Engineering in their understanding of quality concerns and improvements to design.
- Lead test laboratories implementing test plans/procedures ensuring that full test completion and best practices are utilized.
- Analyze, draw conclusions, report and present product information utilizing statistical techniques such as Weibull analysis, reliability distributions, and matrices.
- Draw concise, logical, written conclusions from experiments based on data analysis.
- Ensure timely failure reporting and lead root cause analysis and effective corrective/preventative actions (FRACA).
- Mentor junior level reliability engineers in developing CtQ requirements, test methodologies and design, setting production specification, and creation of experiment designs.
- Position may require having two or three reliability engineer direct reports.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- 5+ years of experience with embedded C/C++.
- 5+ years of experience with firmware or software quality or reliability.
- Practical experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Experience leading firmware process audits with internal and external auditors (UL for example).
- Experience with new product commercialization processes emphasizing design, manufacturing, quality, test or reliability activities.
- Experience including training in quality engineering fundamentals and proven experience leading a primary function within a project team.
- Previous relevant experience with experiment designs, life data analysis, and other related statistical tools and software (i.e. Minitab, Reliasoft)
- Skills in mentoring other employees in statistical techniques.
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer reviews.
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets, along with a basic understanding of digital circuits to understand the interaction between firmware and electronics
- Demonstrated ability to successfully pass external firmware process audits.
- Experience with DevOps, automated testing, and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Written and verbal communication skills and creative problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to travel 20% of the time. (domestic and international)
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- ASQ Reliability Engineering Certification (ASQ-CRE) or the ability and desire to achieve certification.
- Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Six Sigma experience.