Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Job Type: Engineering
Date Posted: 7/24/2020
- Provide independent recommendations for material selection and manufacturing processes.
- Provide materials support to team projects for process development, product development, and root cause analysis activities.
- Establish metallurgical analysis techniques and procedures to evaluate and optimize products and processes.
- Use Design of Experiments (DOE) to optimize material systems, product design, and processing parameters. (DOE training provided).
- Analyze and present materials data to a cross-functional project team.
- Perform general material and metallurgical analysis including cutting, mounting, polishing, and evaluating microstructure.
- Research new material systems and manufacturing technologies.
- Work with material suppliers to optimize material selection, processing techniques, and troubleshoot quality issues.
- Provide support to production facilities for engineering builds, product launches, mass production, and continuous improvement activities.
- Occasionally operate pilot facility equipment including heat treat furnaces, stamping presses, welding equipment, lasers, etc.
- Occasionally travel to suppliers, development partners, production facilities, and conferences.
- Experience with various materials and their applications-emphasis on metals and metallurgy.
- Mid-level understanding of metallurgical process knowledge.
- Familiarity with phase gate and New Product Development (NPD) processes.
- Ability to present experimental data, analysis, conclusions and recommendations in a group setting to a variety of company levels and educational disciplines.
- Self-motivation to lead NPD material/process investigations to solve and/or prevent quality issues.
- Ability to recognize inefficiencies and suggest activities to pursue the improvement.
- Maintain a safe and efficient work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to adapt to a fast-paced work environment.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team atmosphere and work with all levels within the company.
Additional Desired Skills
- Experience with carbide joining methodologies, secondary operations and evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge of coating technologies.
- Experience with advanced analysis techniques such as SEM and EDS.
- Experience researching and evaluating materials for additive manufacturing.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, or Materials Science at a minimum.
- Preferably 2-5 years of experience with materials engineering, new product development, and failure analysis.