Principal Design Engineer - Chargers in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Principal Design Engineer's primary role uses highly developed engineering expertise and project management abilities to contribute to the design and development of new products and support of existing products within the department. The role requires the ability to lead and manage a team of contributing engineers focused on delivering new charger designs to the market
Duties and Responsibilities
- Chief technical resource and mechanical engineering leader on mid/high complexity Charger New Product Development projects.
- Manage a team of 5~7 engineers and CAD designers
- Provide clear engineering information to Project Leaders and the Global Engineering teams facilitating trade off decisions.
- Establish test regimens for components and assemblies within area of scope in the project with minimal guidance. Deliver complete data analysis to support design recommendations
- Independently develop, write and analyze testing reports in internal laboratory.
- Serve as a technical resource on areas of expertise and provide consultation / mentorship to others.
- Execute a wide variety of calculations and software aided analyses in the following areas:
- Mechanical stress analysis
- Tolerance stack analyses
- Injection molded part design
- Thermal / Heat Sink design analysis
- Airflow analysis
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics, Masters preferred
- Electro-mechanical design experience highly preferred
- 6 years of design experience minimum -- 8~10 preferred
- Strong proficiency in 3D CAD -- ProE, Solidworks, NX, or similar as well as FEA.
- Strong experience with FEA.
- Deep mechanical aptitude is required including a broad knowledge of engineering materials, mechanical properties and an understanding of the manufacturing processes associated with these materials.
- Experience with managing direct reports required
- Ability to travel up to 10% (travel includes Domestic and International).
- High interest in tools of the construction trades.