Design Engineer -- Accessories NPD
As an NPD Design Engineer for our Power Tool Accessories Business Unit you would report to a member of the senior engineering staff. The Accessories Team focuses on the following types of products; cutting, wood boring, drilling, fastening, masonry, and abrasives to name a few. To be successful in this role you will need to be a driven, self-starter with the ability to use traditional engineering analytic problem solving combined with a desire to focus on manufacturing processes, experimental methods, and a scientific/R&D approach. You will need to push creative possibilities to ultimately gain market share with new technologies, innovations, and products.
You will be located at our Brookfield, WI office. Our corporate office is only 15 minutes from downtown Milwaukee and located near Miller Park, Milwaukee Zoo, Mitchell Park Domes, as well as many more attractions and restaurants. Milwaukee offers benefits on your first day of work (health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k) and an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide multiple design, manufacturing, and process options to complex engineering problems.
- Work with a marketing and reliability team to develop comprehensive test plans to evaluate all aspects of product specifications, performance, and reliability.
- Work directly with the Milwaukee Tool Test Lab and technicians to conceptualize and develop new tests and improve existing tests.
- Participate in end-user field research and focus groups to understand the needs of the customer.
- Analyze complex data sets using both practical and statistical means.
- Use mechanical design and stress analysis, material and heat treat selection, experimental techniques, statistical data analysis, and other engineering tools to develop theories and support conclusions.
- Seek out and help qualify new suppliers, both international and domestic, for prototyping, development, NPD, and other supply chain needs. Travel will be required.
- Interact with existing suppliers, quality, and manufacturing, both international and domestic, on a daily basis to develop new products and processes and to support/develop improvements to current products and processes.
- Present technical data/findings, concepts, and other project related material to cross-functional team members as well as members of management.
- Create solid models, drawings, work instructions, standards, and other engineering documents.
- Plan, prioritize, manage, and execute all engineering deliverables to meet overall project deadlines.
Education and Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering is required. Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Engineering Mechanics, or Materials Science preferred.
- Experience with basic solid modeling and drafting (CAD). GD&T knowledge preferred.
- Excellent ability and desire to work collaboratively within cross-functional project teams comprised of domestic and international team members.
- Exhibit developing mechanical aptitude and a continuous drive to learn is required.
- Excellent problem solving skills and hands-on attitude.
- Ability to travel ~15% of the time. Mixture of both domestic and international travel required.
- Previous entry level or intern level experience with related duties/responsibilities preferred.
- Experience using Minitab or other statistical data analysis software is preferred.