Emerging Technology Applications Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Under the direction of the Director of Advanced Engineering and Technology (AET), the individual will be responsible for providing a "Masters Student Mentality" approach to their specific areas of technology and its applications within the Vision and Mission of the Advanced Engineering and Technology group.
AET Vision: Be the trusted research and knowledge bank that accelerates and delivers technological disruptive innovation
AET Mission: Discover and develop new technology, materials, and processes without constraints of current product design or manufacturing limitations to empower future product development.
Our ideal candidate would be a hands-on self-starter, who can take ownership of emerging technologies and/or applications from early R&D and bring it to bear in our organization via one or more of the following paths:
- Performing early research and investigations into emerging technologies via start-up companies, university research, industry trends, and department technology strategy
- Designing and rapidly executing a series of Proof of Concepts to demonstrate the viability of an emerging technology/application in relevant technical environments
- Design, fabrication, and commissioning of new prototyping and testing equipment
This candidate would be viewed as a subject matter expert in their areas of focus and will be leveraged for support in transitioning this technology through a phase gate process into the Concept and New Product Development teams.
Core attributes for an ideal candidate would include:
- Capable of working with sensors, microcontrollers, embedded systems, and IoT devices and physically integrating them into machines or on devices.
- Can work closely with internal and external partners for ground up development of custom sensors, microcontrollers, IoT devices, or off-the-shelf solutions.
- Work as part of a machine design team and be responsible for designing sensors into a build.
- Hands on approach to working with electronic devices.
- Perform hands-on fabrication, assembly, testing, and commissioning support on equipment.
- Engage in rapid and iterative design cycles.
- Lead the research and development on new technologies, industry trends, processes, and materials.
- Hands-on approach, and Mechanical aptitude to support physical implementation.
- Programming experience (writing lines of code, developing programs)
- Critical skills: C, C++, Python, exposure to machine learning programming.
- Nice to have/trainable skill: R, MatLAB, LabVIEW, computer vision.
- Hardware / Firmware experience (building physical boards, sensors, and integrating)
- Needs: Pi, Arduino, other microprocessors, experience working with sensors.
- Nice to have/trainable skill: circuit board design and layout.
- Physical integration (housing, fixtures, attaching to machine components)
- Needs: assembly, soldering, wiring, hands-on mindset.
- Nice to have/trainable skill: 3D CAD experience, 3D printing parts.
Additional desired skills or the aptitude to acquire:
- Understand and demonstrate a strong knowledge and practice of Intellectual Property (IP) aspects such as Non-Disclosure Agreements and Joint Development Agreements.
- Support and partner with our IP department in developing and protecting our technology.
- Possess the ability to create part and assembly drawings for new developments/components.
- Generates 3D and 2D drawings enough to produce systems, parts, and assemblies for fabrication.
- Generates all required assembly prints, aids, views, etc. required to build tooling or assembly system.
- Perform data analysis in support of test design, Design of Experiments (DOE), and test and measurement.
- Applies knowledge of mathematical formulas, statistics, and physical laws and uses conventional and computerized work aids to make calculations.
- Able to perform report-out sessions to present new knowledge and technology to peers and cross-functional groups.
- Experience with database management, server architecture, an understanding of network protocols, and ability to integrate multiple systems.
- Helps in departmental operation wherever necessary.
Qualifications, Knowledge, ability and Experience
- BS Engineering and/or Equivalent Professional Experience (2 -- 6 years Minimum Experience)
- Hybrid background of Computer Science/Electrical Engineering with strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must be proficient in MSOffice and 3D CAD software if applicable (Solidworks, NX, etc.)
- Project Management experience in a new product development environment.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude.
- Good oral and written Communication Skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of fundamental basics in computer vision and machine learning.