Senior Electrical Engineer - Power Electronics in Brookfield, Wisconsin
As an Engineer for Milwaukee you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design Headquarter in Brookfield, WI. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals.
Domestic and international travel opportunities are available and sometimes required. In the US, Milwaukee has manufacturing locations in Mississippi. Overseas, you will have the opportunity to work with Chinese engineering counterparts as well as meet with suppliers in other areas of Asia.
Milwaukee offers generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k matching. Milwaukee also provides an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Simulate, design, and validate various AC/DC, DC/DC and DC/AC topologies
- Responsible for 1 - 2 complex projects including topology selection, component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, test plan development and execution of power electronics circuitry based on product/system requirements
- Coach and mentor junior team members in engineering best practices with industrial and technical experiences
- Create new design documents, schematic, layout, bill of materials, test plan and test results
- Use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, e-loads, and data acquisition systems
- Independently track projects to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee process.
- Drive supplier relationships to develop part/product specifications meeting performance requirements
- Familiar with U.S. and global regulatory standards such as UL, CEC, CE, FCC, CISPR and ANSI, and has implemented in design and qualification of new products
- Effectively identify, converge, and communicate major technical issues to project team or upper management in a clear, concise and timely manner while driving appropriate actions based on priorities tradeoff
- Work and collaborate with other cross functional team members across organization
(marketing, mechanical engineering, firmware, regulatory, and global manufacturing)
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field (Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering with focus in power electronics preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in power electronics design field
- Hands-on approach with proven track record of realizing designs/concepts into productions
- Firm understanding of analog circuit design and troubleshooting
- Firm understanding of semiconductor devices including: BJT, MOSFET, rectifiers for both small signal and power circuits
- Firm understanding support circuits such as gate drives, voltage and current transducers and MCU / uC interface circuits
- Working knowledge of various SMPS topologies such as: Flyback, Forward, Buck, Boost, Push-Pull, LLC and others
- Firm understanding of schematic capture, PCB layout software, SPICE and knowledge of industry best practices especially for power electronics circuit layout
- Firm understanding with EMC/EMI concepts including identification of sources, transmission paths and mitigation methods
- Firm understanding with magnetic circuit design including: Transformer design, gapped energy storage devices and filtering components
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to view issue systemically for driving design trade-off discussion
- Ability to research root cause failure analysis after all obvious ideas are exhausted
- Ability to travel up to 10% (Domestic and International)
- High interest in tools of the trade