Principal Engineer - Cell Engineering in Brookfield, Wisconsin
A Principal Engineer of Cell Engineering will lead a team of engineers and technicians to serve the needs of a global Li-Ion battery business in the areas of new product development, technology development, warranty analysis, and supplier quality management. Major responsibilities include development of cell specifications, supporting supplier qualifications, executing new product development projects, supporting the development of technology roadmaps, supporting advanced quality initiatives, and performing cell testing and analysis.. This includes working in and facilitating a collaborative team environment with marketing, project management, quality, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, agency/safety teams, and global manufacturing operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, mentor, and sustain a high performing team to deliver core functions stated above.
- Perform and supervise analytical services including TGA/DSC polymer analysis, GC-MS electrolyte analysis, SEM/EDS particle analysis, visual image capture, cell subsystem testing, and live cell teardown analysis.
- Drive best-in-class product performance within cell supply base by defining next generation cell specifications, critiquing supplier designs and processes, and driving strategic corrective actions and continuous improvements.
- Support negotiations and relationship management with cell suppliers on key areas of cell qualification, critical quality issues, and product roadmaps.
- Establish and maintain an archive of product specifications, performance data, and product information for broad use within the organization.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, electrochemistry, or similar field required. Masters, or PhD degree desired.
- 5+ years of highly successful experience in related field.
- Experience with using SEM/EDS, TGA/DSC, GC-MS, XRD, FTIR, EIS, glovebox, cycle life testers and abuse testing is preferred.
- Knowledge of emerging battery chemistries and cell manufacturing processes preferred.
- Knowledge of Arbin/Maccor programming or similar type programming experience preferred.
- Highly motivated self-driver with a never settle, always improving attitude.
- A passion for developing cell technology and battery systems.
- Ability to travel up to 10% (domestic and International).