A Concept Engineer at Milwaukee Tool is part of the leading edge of discovery and new product innovation.
If you're an inventor, a dreamer, a maker, and have an unparalleled passion to create new and interesting solutions to address user needs, and you have an extensive portfolio of consumer products you've designed and developed, we want you to work for us.
Our Concept Engineers are hands-on, creative spirits that can see past perceived barriers and use that mentality to uncover new ways of thinking to solve challenging user needs and technical hurdles. As part of a cross-functional team composed of equally motivated Design Researchers, Industrial Designers, and other Concept Engineers, you will work to uncover unmet user needs, ideate creative ways to solve the unmet needs, and act as the technical expert in the creation and execution of the ideas into concepts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in local and regional field research and user centered design process. Define benefits that are critical to our users and build prototypes to execute on those benefits.
- Work closely with other core competencies within the organization (Marketing, Reliability, Testing, Rapid Prototyping) to develop best in class products.
- Critically evaluate product designs considering user needs, durability, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Perform a wide variety of engineering and design tasks including but not limited to:
- Translating user observations to insights
- Rapid Prototype development ranging from low fidelity to looks-like/works-like
- 3D modeling in NX, SolidWorks, and/or CREO
- Engineering Analyses: thermal, mechanical, CFD, motion
- Basic understanding and use of GD&T a benefit
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering Technology, and/or Engineering Physics
- Minimum of 2-5 years on a Front-End Innovation Team with a proven track record of creativity and invention in the Consumer Products Market
- Working knowledge of engineering trends within the discipline -- can provide tactical improvement suggestions and occasionally step-change ideas
- Strong mechanical aptitude based on experience including a broad knowledge of mechanisms, engineering materials, mechanical properties, and manufacturing processes
- Proficiency in various computer skills including Microsoft Office Tools
- Personal attributes: highly motivated, entrepreneurial, innovative, collaborative, dynamic
- Superior communication skills
- Engaged team member with a hands-on attitude
- Not afraid to fail in order to learn
- Craves giving and receiving real time feedback and criticism
- High interest in, and experience with, the tools of the trade