The primary duty of this position is to manage the factory quality system and report quality metrics to upper management. The Sr. Quality Engineer must also identify continuous improvement opportunities and implement change to reduce the cost of quality in a manufacturing setting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage quality system to track and report factory quality metrics
- Implement and monitor statistical process control system within a new factory and use data to reduce cost of quality.
- Work with cross functional teams on continuous improvement activities through statistical analysis and data analysis, such as process capability study, Gauge R&R, process flowcharting, design of experiments.
- Work with manufacturing and suppliers in process improvement to reduce process variation and increase process control.
- Work with suppliers to ensure quality product is being supplied/processed is of the highest quality.
- Help manage and create corrective action plans to ensure timely root cause/8D analysis and effective corrective/preventive action.
- Assist in performing process inspections through metrology, metallurgy and test labs.
- Develop and revise procedures, system instructions, standards and work instructions.
- Perform process analysis on machines, equipment and systems to facilitate process improvement and cost reduction. Track process performance and provide feedback to engineering, manufacturing and management.
- Participate in reviewing designs of new products and engineering changes with respect to product quality control planning and gauge requirements.
- Perform process and quality system audits to ensure compliance to specifications and documented procedures.
- Track project schedules to ensure adherence to timelines
- Conceive, plan, organize and coordinate all phases of assigned special projects to improve efficiencies, simplify workflow and reduce costs.
- Provide/organize formal and informal training, as needed, on statistical techniques and continuous improvement tools, such as process analysis, flowcharting, statistical process control, design of experiments, PFMEA, Gage R&R and other Quality tools.
- Develop and improve documentation and provide support for product testing.
- Program measurement equipment (CMM, VMM, etc.) and set up data collection plans for SPC system.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related technical field
- Five plus years of related work experience or equivalent that includes training in quality engineering fundamentals.
- Excellent problem identification and resolution skills
- Working experience with statistical process control
- Supervision experience a plus
- Experience in metal manufacturing and plastic molding preferred (i.e. Machining, stamping, forging, or assembly)
- Strong metallurgical background is preferred