Tool & Die Maker - Apprentice in Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Tool & Die Maker - Apprenticeship
At Milwaukee Tool (Milwaukee), we strive for operational excellence to deliver best-in-class products that exceed the needs of our end users. We achieve this by cultivating a culture to hire, reward, mentor and grow 'Exceptional People.'
As a Tool & Die Maker Apprentice, you would work on both stamping dies and plastic molds. The primary duty is to utilize tool and die making skills to contribute to manufacturing improvements in both existing manufacturing processes and new products. This position will interact with operations, engineering and process technicians to construct, alter, fit and repair tooling from both the stamping and plastic molding processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Study blueprints, sketches, and models to repair or fabricate tools and dies
- Ability to troubleshoot production and prototype tooling
- Set up and operate conventional or CNC machine shop equipment such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders, and wire EDM
- Inspect tooling for production readiness
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conduct tryouts with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- Record work and repair history of tooling in electronic maintenance system
- Perform and develop effective preventive maintenance systems of plastic molds and stamping dies
- Build and modify spare parts as needed and give accurate time estimates of repairs
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities and work in a self-directed manner to implement projects and optimize production processes
Education and Experience Requirements
- Highschool graduate or higher, willing to enroll in state sponsored apprenticeship through Milwaukee Tool / Empire Level. All necessary schooling and work hours must be completed per apprenticeship schedule
- Must be able to communicate technical status to engineering or operations team
- Previous experience in tool & die / machine shop environment a plus
- Previous experience in stamping or plastic molding environment a plus
- Experience with Solidworks or NX a plus