Concept Research Design Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Come be DISRUPTIVE with us! At Milwaukee Tool, our most valued resource is our dedicated team of employees - employees who work with a passion to be the best and have an unparalleled pride in their work and in the Milwaukee brand. We know that the only way to sustain growth and success is to value the growth and success of each person within the organization that's why we invest in an individual's growth and development from day one.
Members of the Accessory Concept Engineering Team at Milwaukee Tool are part of the leading edge of discovery and new product innovation.
If you're an inventor, a dreamer, a maker, and have an unparalleled passion to create new and interesting solutions to address user needs, and you have an extensive portfolio of consumer products you've designed and developed, we want you to work for us.
Our Concept Engineers are hands-on, creative spirits that can see past perceived barriers and use that mentality to uncover new ways of thinking to solve challenging user needs and technical hurdles. As part of a cross-functional team composed of equally motivated Product Marketing and other Concept Engineers, you will work to uncover unmet user needs, ideate creative ways to solve the unmet needs, and act as the technical expert in the creation and execution of the ideas into concepts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Expect to spend 60% of time engaged in user research focused activities.
- Engage with end users on jobsites and virtually to uncover both verbal and non-verbal cues to seek innovations on power tool accessories.
- Interacting with, maintaining, and growing our end user database on various trades.
- Organizing and conveying end user information to an audience of marketing and engineering disciplines.
- Coordinate, conduct, and/or participate in local and regional field research with a user centered design process for all Accessory Concept projects.
- Remaining time will be split amongst the project coordination and / or technical development of projects.
- Define benefits that are critical to our users and build prototypes to execute on those benefits.
- Work closely with other core competencies within the organization (Marketing, Reliability, Testing, Rapid Prototyping) to develop best in class products.
- Critically evaluate product designs considering user needs, durability, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Perform a wide variety of engineering and design tasks including but not limited to:
- Translating user observations to insights
- Rapid Prototype development ranging from low fidelity to looks-like/works-like
- 3D modeling in NX and/or SolidWorks
- Engineering Analyses of mechanical, motion, thermal, and CFD using ANSYS
- Basic understanding and use of GD&T a benefit
- Background and/or Education in Product Research / Product Design focusing on Front End Innovation
- Must have at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Engineering Physics, or related Sciences
- 4-7 years on a Front-End Innovation Team with a proven track record of creativity and invention in the Consumer Products Market
- Working knowledge of engineering trends within the discipline -- can provide tactical improvement suggestions and occasionally step-change ideas
- Strong mechanical aptitude based on experience including a broad knowledge of mechanisms, engineering materials, mechanical properties, and manufacturing processes
- Proficiency in various computer skills including Microsoft Office Tools
- Personal attributes: highly motivated, entrepreneurial, innovative, collaborative, dynamic
- Superior communication skills
- Engaged team member with a hands-on attitude
- Not afraid to fail in order to learn
- Craves giving and receiving real time feedback and criticism
- High interest in, and experience with, the tools of the trade
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.