Principal Operations Engineer - Value Engineering in Brookfield, Wisconsin
As a Principal Engineer for Milwaukee your primary focus would be to support Milwaukee's Accessory products and lead a team of engineers. In this role, you would report directly to the Manager of Advanced Manufacturing. You will be utilizing your engineering skills and project management ability to execute DFMA design changes, derivative product/packaging changes, and sourcing changes. You will work directly with manufacturing cells to improve processes and reduce costs through capital/capacity projects, design change implementation, and transformational process changes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate as a member of the department's engineering management team to achieve year over year department value engineering goals.
- Select, develop and motivate highly competent, responsive engineering staff and plan for future expertise needs.
- Lead large scale engineering projects for Value engineering & derivative products. Provides engineering support on high complexity projects with minimal supervision of department manager.
- Research and aid in the development of manufacturing processes & machine design solutions to enhance our operations, manufacturing and new product development needs.
- Explore the use of new materials, components, coatings, or processes and make recommendations for new value engineering and NPD projects
- Evaluate product designs relative to the selection, cost, and resolution of manufacturing problems. Must be able to make recommendations that drive to timely decisions for projects.
- Serve as a technical resource to troubleshoot problems with manufacturing teams and suppliers.
- Provide clear engineering information to management and the global engineering team through PowerPoint and graphical tools. Data must be presented in a manner that facilitates effective decisions.
- Able to provide an overview of upcoming workload and identify potential resource bottlenecks including a plan to mitigate risks.
- Schedule, develop agendas, facilitate, and document project meetings.
- Track project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines; keep team and management informed of project issues. Make formal presentations regarding project status.
- Facilitate project flow involving regular contact with manufacturing and other cross-functional staff members; must correctly follow all Milwaukee Tool procedures covering product development and design in addition to procedures of non-engineering departments related to project flow.
- Interact with suppliers to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Work with cross-functionally and globally with operations, engineering, quality and suppliers to establish appropriate specifications and deliver conforming products.
- Establish test regimens for products with the project team.
- Establish machine run-off specifications with the project team.
- Regularly visit the manufacturing cells/suppliers to maintain open lines of communication with the cell/suppliers and provide opportunity/troubleshooting analysis as required.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering Technology or related work experience.
- 12 years of relevant work experience in manufacturing, product development, and (especially) in value engineering
- 5+ years of experience managing technical staff up to Senior Engineers.
- Must be a self-starter
- Strong skill set in problem solving and ideation
- Possess a strong technical understanding of multiple manufacturing and assembly processes and possible design/manufacturing hurdles that must be overcome to manufacture product.
- Ability to travel internationally & domestically as required (10%-20% travel).
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Value Analysis principles and Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) methodology
- Computer aided design skills are a significant advantage but not required; including Unigraphics (NX8.5) or similar 3D CAD package. Experience with Teamcenter a plus.
- Possess a solid understanding in quality related analysis tools; MiniTab, Gage R&R, Capability Studies, Tolerance Stack-ups and deviation analysis.
- Experienced understanding of various cost drivers associated with materials, labor & overhead is required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a hands-on attitude.
- High interest in tools of the construction trades.
- Experience with ERP systems and Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) desired - Microsoft Dynamics AX and HighJump is a plus, but not required.
- Project management certification is a plus, but not required.