Principal Electrical Hardware Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Principal Electrical Hardware Engineer will be focused on developing future technologies for Milwaukee Tool's market space. Responsibilities include evaluation of key technologies and maturity level for target product categories and applications, development of technology to acceptable levels for transition to product teams, and establishing and maintaining relationships with key vendors.
As an engineer for Milwaukee Tool, you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design headquarters in Brookfield, Wisconsin, and be part of a rapidly growing company. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals. Milwaukee Tool offers generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401k matching, as well as providing an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues, and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessment of emerging technology market space to fit/compliment Milwaukee Tool product initiatives.
- Develop plans to evaluate and develop emerging technology maturity for product development.
- Design and develop prototype systems for evaluation.
- Establish and execute test regimens for evaluation of new technology.
- Use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, electronic loads, logic analyzers, and data acquisition systems.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- 10+ years of hands-on embedded hardware design experience.
- Broad expertise in sensing technologies, sensor integration, and analog/digital interfaces.
- Knowledge of overall SOC system design and requirements.
- Hands on experience and familiarity with embedded communications such as SPI, I2C, ADC, USB, CAN, LIN, and other serial communication protocols.
- Responsible for schematic design and capture.
- Rapid prototyping is key.
- Board bring-up/debug/test.
- Functional assessment via data collection and analysis, PC apps.
- Experience and familiarity with SPICE simulation tools, MATLAB, or equivalent.
- The candidate must be highly motivated to work in R&D type environment; be self-driven, multi-disciplined, and an out-of-the-box thinker.
- Ability to travel up to 10% (domestic and international).
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- C and C++ programming, especially relating to microcontroller peripherals and related development tools and processes.
- Knowledge of firmware development tools and processes.
- Wireless design knowledge (WIFI/BT)- RF/Antenna design.
- Experience and familiarity with any of the following:
- Augmented Reality
- Machine learning
- Power electronics design and control
- Other sensors (magnetoresistive, magnetometers, strain gauge, hall effect, range/LIDAR, Radar)
- Current sensing applications utilizing current transformer, Rogowski coils, hall sensors, or magnetoresistive devices