Principal Firmware Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Principal Firmware Engineer will lead design and implementation of embedded software systems.
As an engineer for Milwaukee Tool you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design Headquarters in Brookfield, WI, and be part of a company that has consistently experienced an annual growth rate of 20% over the past decade. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals. Milwaukee Tools offers generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k matching, as well as providing an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and refine engineering requirements based on marketing and user needs.
- Lead the design of new firmware architectures, applications, and libraries.
- Peer-review software designs and source code.
- Establish and execute test procedures for software applications and subsystems.
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources.
- Interface with electronics hardware design team.
- Lead agile project teams through the new product development process.
- Ensure on-time delivery of firmware that meets all requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement of development operations (DevOps).
- Mentor younger engineers and model Milwaukee Tool culture for all.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar field.
- 10+ years of experience with embedded C/C++
- Practical experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Experience developing bare-metal firmware designs.
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer reviews.
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets, along with a basic understanding of digital circuits and interaction between firmware and electronics.
- Strong documentation and writing skills.
- Mentoring and leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power supplies, electronic loads, and data acquisition systems.
- Experience with DevOps, automated testing and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD).
- Ability to travel up to 10% (domestic and International).
- Master's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar field.
- Experience developing bare-metal firmware designs for real-time applications.