Senior Materials Engineer - Plastics, Polymers & Composites in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Sr. Materials Engineer will identify, develop, and support applications that are innovative & desirable for use in Power Tools and contribute to their long-term continuous improvement.
As an engineer for Milwaukee Tool, you will be located at our Corporate & Global Design Headquarters in Brookfield, WI, and be part of a rapidly growing company. You will work in a fast-paced environment to innovate new products as a member of a cross-functional team. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is seeing a product you designed from concept to production in the hands of professionals. Milwaukee Tool offers generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401k matching, as well as providing an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, recreational sports leagues, and company outings.
Duties and Responsibilities
MATERIALS / ENGINEERING
- Research & develop new polymer & composites technologies, systems and manufacturing techniques
- Apply knowledge & understanding to define high performance and/or green & sustainable solutions
- Identify engineering trends and drive strategies to guide the organization's technical direction
- Review intellectual property and technical publications to identify opportunity
- Provide technical leadership, direction, guidance and engineering expertise to the organization
- Provide analysis, expertise & recommendations for material selection and processing
- Occasionally provide support to suppliers & production facilities for engineering builds, product launches, mass production, quality issues and continuous improvement activities
- Perform root cause failure analysis of field & test failures
- Self-motivation to lead material/process investigations to solve and/or prevent quality issues
- Recognize inefficiencies in materials applications and sponsor improvement activities
- Independently schedule, develop agendas for, facilitate and document technical project meetings and formal presentations
- Draw concise, logical, written conclusions from experiments and present recommendations to a variety of company levels and educational disciplines
- Effectively identify and communicate issues to upper management in a clear, concise and timely manner while driving action based on urgency
- Manage external relationships with university research teams, start-up companies, professional societies & associations and external testing experts
- Mentor and train junior engineers in their design and failure analysis
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS in Materials Science/Engineering with polymers focus. Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years hands-on, practical application of plastics, polymers & composites in a relevant industry
- Experience with various materials, manufacturing & applications - emphasis on high performance plastics, polymers & composites
- Understanding & experience with rapid prototyping, injection molding & overmolding technologies
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a hands-on attitude.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time to suppliers, development partners, production facilities & conferences
- Experience with advanced analysis techniques such as SEM and EDS.
- Proficient in use of DOE.
- Proficient in CAD and FEA solvers is preferred.