Milwaukee Tool's service experience is a customer expectation and a competitive advantage. The Service repair hubs are critical to that experience and to maintaining that advantage. When production is not met the customer experience suffers, or Milwaukee faces expensive remediations. The Production Manager's role is to create the culture, team, processes and infrastructure to meet throughput and customer turn time requirements without sacrificing safety, quality, or cost-effectiveness.
Reporting to the Plant Manager, this position is a key member of plant leadership. It is responsible for the technicians, order clerks, shipping personnel, and other supervisory and hourly employees on direct and indirect labor teams. This role will build and continuously develop a team centered on production expertise and with the depth necessary to support a fast-growing high-mix Service repairs operation.
Critically, this role will include opening our brand new Service hub being built in Greenwood, IN. The Production Manager will be integral to the project team and will be responsible for the startup production plan. Once open, the new hub will expand rapidly and production must keep pace. Experience with new facility startup and new team creation in a high-growth environment is strongly desired.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Culture, Environment, & Team Leadership
- Build and maintain a culture anchored on Milwaukee's core values: Candid | Obsessed | Speed, Agility, and Urgency | Never Settle, Always Improving | Empowered leaders.
- Create and maintain an environment obsessed with the timeliness and efficiency of world-class production organizations.
- Continually develop the team, increasing their skills, expertise, and cross-functional capabilities.
- Participate in and ensure proper day-to-day leadership of the production workforce.
- Understand incoming demand, shop capacity, and constraints to delivering required throughput and turn times
- Lead daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual production planning and reviews
- Build a staffing plan with sufficient depth and cross-training to support rapid growth in both capacity and capabilities
- Set, monitor, and achieve KPIs needed to achieve overall goals
- Collaborate with Human Resources and Training to hire, onboard, and train new employees
- Collaborate urgently with supporting functions (inventory management, training, engineering, Quality, HR) to clear constraints that reduce throughput, lengthen customer turn time, or diminish cost-effectiveness.
- Build and maintain processes to identify quality issues before they ship to customers. Identify root causes, and implement corrective and preventive actions.
- Implement a robust process audit regimen to ensure production workers are performing tasks as required. Collaborate with engineering, quality, and training functions to monitor and adjust as needed.
- Build and maintain an employee-driven safety culture.
- Integrate safety into the overall plant 5S regimen.
- Balance production and turn time needs with the more expensive remediation actions like tool replacements.
- Identify and execute efficiency and other cost savings opportunities.
- Collaborate with counterparts in in-plant and corporate functions to propagate best practices across the Service organization.
- Understand and use Milwaukee Tool's operating systems (Microsoft AX and High Jump) and play an active role in problem escalations and resolution.
- Work closely, urgently, and systematically with in-plant and corporate counterparts to resolve transactional and recurring issues that prevent any of the above.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and visually appealing plant that enhances safety, productivity, morale, and customer visits/tours.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Operations or Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Business, or equivalent education/work experience.
- Lean / Six Sigma certification is highly desired.
- 5+ years experience in production management.
- Experience in a Service repair environment is highly desired.
- Experience with enterprise-grade ERP and production control software and systems.
- Expertise with Microsoft AX and/or High Jump is highly desired.
- 3+ years experience leading people.
- Demonstrated success in:
- Maintaining throughput, turn time, quality, and safety in a high SKU, high mix, low automation environment.
- Developing and maintaining a high-performing production team
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal are required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products is required (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, TEAMS)
- Travel during initial training and until plant opening will be regular and frequent, and maybe 75% or higher. After plant opening travel will be occasional, typically domestic, and generally short durations.