At Milwaukee Tool (Milwaukee), we strive for operational excellence to deliver best-in-class products that exceed the needs of our end users. We achieve this by cultivating a culture to hire, reward, mentor and grow 'Exceptional People.'
As a Value Engineering (VE) Accessories your primary focus would be to research, develop, and support the execution of value engineering projects for Milwaukee Tool. In this role, you would report directly to the Leader of Value Engineering (VE). You will be utilizing your engineering and project management skills to execute design changes, derivative product/packaging changes, and sourcing changes for accessories products. You will work directly with manufacturing cells to improve processes and reduce costs through capital/capacity projects, design change implementation, and transformational process changes. You will execute your projects both in person and remotely.
Milwaukee Electric Tool offers benefits on your first day of work (health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k) and an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria as well as a state-of-the-art fitness facility!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, lead, and participate in engineering projects for Value engineering & derivative products. This role will provide engineering feasibility and support on high complexity projects with supervision of department manager.
- Perform manufacturing process related feasibility studies for continuous improvement of designs and product performance, throughput improvements, and capital planning.
- Research and aid in the development of manufacturing processes & machine design solutions to enhance our operations.
- Research and develop new suppliers for potential VE opportunities.
- Support manufacturing and new product development needs for accessories products.
- Facilitate project flow with the plant, development manufacturing, and other cross-functional staff members; must correctly follow all Milwaukee Tool procedures covering product development and design in addition to procedures of non-engineering departments related to project flow.
- Schedule, develop agendas, facilitate, and document project meetings.
- Track project schedules to ensure adherence to timelines; keep team and management informed of project issues. Make regular formal presentations regarding project status.
- Provide clear engineering information to project leaders, management and the global engineering team through PowerPoint and graphical tools. Data must be presented in a manner that facilitates effective decisions.
- Work cross-functionally and globally with operations, engineering, quality and suppliers to establish appropriate specifications and deliver conforming products.
- Interact with suppliers to develop part/product specifications that perform to Milwaukee Tool established standards for performance, capability, and savings.
- Establish test regimens for products with the project team.
- Establish machine run-off specifications with the project team.
- Occasionally serve as a technical resource to troubleshoot problems with manufacturing teams and suppliers in areas of expertise.
- Evaluate product designs relative to material selection, components, coatings, and manufacturability; and offer improvement ideas.
- Able to provide an overview of upcoming workload.
- Regularly visit the manufacturing cells/suppliers to maintain open lines of communication with the cell/suppliers and provide opportunity/troubleshooting analysis as required.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Materials Engineering or Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering Technology or related work experience.
- 3+ years of relevant working experience.
- Must be a self-starter and hands on learner
- Strong skill set in problem solving and ideation
- Must possess an understanding of multiple manufacturing and assembly processes and possible design/manufacturing hurdles that must be overcome to manufacture product.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically as required (up to 15% travel).
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects is required.
- Knowledge of Value Analysis principles and Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) methodology.
- Computer aided design skills are a significant advantage but not required; including Unigraphics (NX8.5) or similar 3D CAD package. Experience with Teamcenter a plus.
- Possess a basic understanding in quality related analysis tools; MiniTab, Gage R&R, Capability Studies, Tolerance Stack-ups and deviation analysis.
- A solid understanding of various cost drivers associated with materials; labor & overhead is required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a hands-on attitude.
- High interest in tools of the construction trades.
- Experience with ERP systems and Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) desired but not necessary