Are you looking for a career with a growing company and the opportunity to help build the role of Design Research as a core competency for a business? Looking for a challenging and quick paced environment? Then look no further than our Design Researcher role for Milwaukee Tool.
Milwaukee Tool is an industry-leading manufacturer of heavy-duty power tools, accessories and hand tools for professional users worldwide.
Since the company began in 1924, Milwaukee Tool has led the industry in both durability and performance. With an unwavering commitment to the trades, Milwaukee continues to lead with a focus on providing innovative, trade-specific solutions. Whether it is through their leadership in LITHIUM-ION technology, as seen in the M12™, M18™ & M28™ Systems, time-saving accessories or innovative hand tool products, Milwaukee is dedicated to delivering a steady stream of advanced solutions for the trades that offer increased productivity and unmatched durability.
To do this, Milwaukee takes the time to work side by side with real craftsman to understand the demands of a constantly changing workplace and how they can best deliver solutions that help the user work both faster and smarter. Milwaukee knows that professional users sweat the small stuff, and so do they. They pay attention to the small details that that make a big difference. This user focus not only leads to solutions for real jobsite challenges, but fuels the disruptive innovation seen across all product lines.
Milwaukee offers benefits on your first day of work (health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k) and an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria, state of the art fitness facility, organized fitness classes, recreational sports leagues and company outings.
The Design Research team at Milwaukee Tool sits within a collaborative user-centered design and technology development group focused on the fuzzy front end of product development. We are tasked with informing the entrepreneurial spirit of the company, influencing and inspiring the direction of the business through strategic and functional findings. In this role you will be leading the research efforts of highly collaborative and diverse teams of Engineers, Industrial Designers, and Product Managers to inspire and influence key decision makers on new solutions for the construction industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and execute multi-faceted research plans to learn about all aspects of the construction trade. These plans typically include qualitative discovery research on jobsites, primary and secondary research exercises to understand the competitive product set, and evaluation of mock-ups and preliminary concept prototypes in field.
- Build, grow, and maintain a network of users to understand their evolving needs and work context. Establishing strong relationships with our end users is critical to conducting appropriate discovery research, co-creating solutions, and eliciting honest feedback.
- Analyze and synthesize research findings into key insights that inform opportunities for new feature sets, functionalities, and business approaches.
- Plan and facilitate hands-on tool evaluations, team workshops, and analysis sessions. These participatory co-creation sessions result in a common ground of familiarity with a tool and its use, while inspiring creativity and collaboration within your team.
- Present research findings in an engaging and concise manner to key stakeholders across the business. You will need to communicate through well-crafted presentations and events that educate and inspire your team through photos, video, diagrams, storytelling and demonstrations.
- You are comfortable approaching potential research participants (e.g., on a construction site) to introduce yourself and engage in observation and open-ended lines of questioning
- You are curious, not just about your research topic but also the company, your co-workers, and your process
- You are ready to jump in with both feet to try new methods and learn from your mistakes
- You are comfortable working in the ambiguous "fuzzy front end"
- You are proactive and open to changing research plans on the fly based on new information
- You have strong communication skills and can get your ideas across to engineers, industrial designers, and marketers alike
- You link everything back to our core end user's activities and needs to provide insight for developing breakthrough products
- You are a team player, focused on bringing the team along on the journey
- You have passion for the importance of user insights in the product development process and are ready to champion those insights
- You make non-obvious connections and revel in talking about ideas
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office, with some experience with editing video and 2D software (ex: QuickTime, Adobe Creative Suite)
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Master's degree plus a minimum of one years' experience (including internships) in Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Business, or Engineering; or Bachelor's degree in the same fields plus three years' experience
- Minimum one year's experience in product development with an understanding of innovation and design thinking
- Minimum one year's experience using qualitative research methods including observation, interviewing, and contextual inquiry
- 25-40% overnight domestic travel
- Upon an interview, must be prepared to present on a project and its methodology
Milwaukee Tool is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.