Sr. Metrology Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Department: 2031 -- Power Tools QE/RE
MAIN ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES: Develop and maintain relationships with engineering, suppliers, and metrology customers to address metrology needs. Communicate results and solutions in an effective and efficient manner for metrology projects. Overall Support in the Metrology Lab -- Programming, Inspections, Analysis, Testing, Documentation, and Record Keeping. Metrology Lab Support for Engineering and Manufacturing in measuring, and testing of parts, and components. Track metrology, and inspection projects, and report on Status. Foster a positive, collaborative environment throughout the organization.
Quality and Inspection Planning
- Supports Engineering New Product Development in Metrology through sample measurements and feedback, early on involvement in drawing and GD&T reviews, and early supplier measurement capability evaluations.
- Develops inspection strategies to meet business needs for the Corporation.
- Establishes and Implements an effective Calibration System for gauge and equipment control on an ongoing basis.
- Purchase Order and CAPEX documentation and processing for Metrology equipment, test equipment, and other measurement instrumentation.
Part Measurement and Part Qualification
- Interprets drawings featuring Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5 to identify product inspection requirements.
- Document, and edit programs utilized in metrology labs such as CALYPSO, Polyworks, PC-DMIS, etc. and serves as technical expert for metrology inspection.
- Develops new inspection techniques as required.
- Corporate lead on development of inspection fixtures to ensure minimum measurement error during inspection.
Design Assistance and Training
- Participates in design reviews with cross-functional teams to ensure that conformance to specifications, Design for inspection, reliability, and quality system objectives are met.
- Work from written or verbal instructions, detailed engineering drawings, and 3D models to establish inspection criteria and measurement implementation.
- Maintains adequate training in metrology disciplines to ensure capability to lead team and train others as needed.
Metrology Department Management
- Management of inspection and metrology programs
- Calibration standards and maintenance of calibration systems
- Measurement standards and procedures development and maintenance
- Collaborate with metrology lab technicians and supervisor
- College or Technical degree in a field related to Engineering or Science
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in Metrology Lab Environment
- Proficient in set-up and operation of inspection equipment
- Proficient in Gauge R&R and test method validation
- Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5
- Proficient in mathematical applications- Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Knowledge of mechanical inspection methods, and tools used to determine product acceptance
- Ability to investigate and learn new technologies within metrology
- Must be willing to travel up to 30% of the time
- Ability to work independently on routine tasks with high attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills
- An ability to work cross functionally and promote good working relationships with other teams, to determine priorities, state challenges productively, and problem solve